SCOPE OF JOB
At Habitat Energy we bring together exceptionally talented and passionate people in the domains of energy trading, data science, software engineering and an in-depth understanding of flexible energy assets. Our aim is to maximise the value of large-scale flexible energy assets, (e.g. battery storage), so they are attractive investments, are deployed at scale and enable the energy transition.
We are looking for smart, motivated people to join our team who share our belief that we can outperform the energy sector dinosaurs, have a positive impact on the planet and have fun doing it together.
We have a vacancy for a US Trading & Dispatch Manager to be one of the founding members of our new team in Austin, Texas.
You will be responsible for:
- Delivering our asset optimisation services in the US including establishing Habitat as a Qualified Scheduling Entity for ERCOT and associated regulatory compliance
- Establishing and overseeing the day-to-day operations of the assets within the markets, including ownership of any third party commercial operations relationships (e.g. 24/7 outsourcing)
- Developing operational processes and procedures for interfacing with the ISO, asset operations & maintenance teams
- Undertaking market analysis to understand supply, demand, competitor strategies and transmission constraints to identify opportunities to maximise gross margin
- Optimising physical and financial trading positions within real-time electricity markets with a key focus of maximising value capture for our clients
- Assessing risks and opportunities of asset operations by coordinating with client asset operations staff
- Supporting analysis and tool creation/improvement to aid in achieving profit targets and the optimal dispatch of assets
- Working with the UK-based data science, trading and technical teams to develop and implement trading strategies and tactics to achieve targets whilst complying with risk limits and trading control procedures
We’re looking for someone who is a great fit for our company. We want people who take accountability, build trust and are innovative. We encourage you to apply even if you may not meet every requirement in this posting. We value diversity and our environment is supportive, challenging and focused on the consistent delivery of high quality, meaningful work.
- Independent, entrepreneurial and commercially astute
- Good judgement in high pressure, high-value situations
- Ability to prioritise workload in a time-pressured environment
- Experience in a short-term power trading role managing dispatch of physical assets and trading positions including the contribution to creating and executing trading strategies
- Strong knowledge of the operations, rules, infrastructure and key players of the ERCOT market
- Knowledge of the drivers of real-time power and ancillary services market prices and the opportunities they create for assets operating within
- The ability to understand and discuss complex issues in an accessible way
- A degree in business, economics, finance, computer science, engineering or related technical field
Extra credit if you can demonstrate:
- Working knowledge of Excel/VBA and Python (Pandas, etc.) as well as experience querying relational databases (e.g. SQL) would be advantageous
- Previous experience of contract management, regulatory/System Operator engagement and/or set-up of a trading and operations desk
- Experience in risk management or post-trade analytics
In return, we’ll give you a competitive salary, flexible working arrangements and a lot of personal development opportunities.
Interested? Get in touch! No agencies, please.